Ofcom announces latest small-scale DAB multiplex awards
Ofcom has today awarded small-scale DAB radio multiplex licences for five more areas in England, Scotland and Wales.
Small-scale DAB is an innovative technology which provides a low-cost way for local commercial, community and specialist music services to take to the digital airwaves.
One of our Ofcom colleagues played an important part in developing the technology behind small-scale DAB and received an MBE for his work in the field of radio broadcasting.
Following a competitive process, where each applicant was judged against specific criteria, multiplex licences have been awarded for the following areas:
- Cardiff: licence awarded to Cardiff DAB Limited
- Edinburgh: licence awarded to Edinburgh DAB Limited
- King’s Lynn: licence awarded to North Norfolk Digital Limited
- Leeds: licence awarded to Leeds Digital Media Limited
- Norwich: licence awarded to Future Digital Norfolk Limited
Further licence awards for the remaining 11 areas that were advertised in round one will be announced in the coming weeks. Round two licence areas, for the North West of England and North East Wales, will be advertised on 1 June 2021.