New local digital radio stations for the Channel Islands
Listeners in the Channel Islands will soon be able to tune in to a range of new local digital radio stations.
Ofcom has awarded a new 12-year licence for local digital radio services for the Channel Islands to Bailiwick Broadcasting Limited (PDF, 129.2 KB).
This will bring local digital radio services to the Channel Islands for the first time, with Bailiwick launching 22 new digital stations next year.
The line-up includes a number of music-led stations, featuring 1980’s rock and pop, classic and contemporary pop, melodic easy listening and chill-out tracks. Other new stations include:
- Angel Radio, which provides music and information for the over 60s;
- Gaydio, which provides programmes for the LGBT community;
- Little Radio, which provides programmes for children;
- Skylab Radio, which provides chill-out music; and
- Visitor Radio, which provides tourist information.
This local radio service also intends to transmit digital broadcasts of Channel 103 and Island FM, as well as the services provided by BBC Radio Guernsey and BBC Radio Jersey.