Ofcom awards two new community radio licences
Ofcom has today announced the award of two new community radio licences in England.
The new stations will serve communities in Manchester and Leicester.
Community radio services are provided on a not-for-profit basis, focusing on the delivery of specific social benefits to a particular area or community of interest.
More than 250 community radio stations are currently on air.
The two new community radio licences have been awarded to:
- Heritage Community Radio (British Muslim Heritage Centre), Whalley Range and surrounding areas in Manchester.
Contact name: Waqar Abbasi
Heritage Radio’s programming will predominantly serve the Muslim community in Whalley Range and surrounding areas in south Manchester. The station currently holds a licence to broadcast a community radio service on medium wave (AM), which it will surrender when the FM service commences.
- Radio2Funky (2Funky Arts Limited), Leicester
Contact name: Vijay Mistry
Radio2Funky will serve 16 to 35 year olds who have an interest in urban music and the arts in Leicester.
The licences are awarded for a five-year period. See a statement setting out the main determining factors for the award of the licences above (PDF, 160.4 KB).
Notes to editors
1. In addition to the licence awards detailed above, Ofcom considered eight further applications, but decided not to award a licence to the following:
- DEEN FM (Deen FM Limited), Milton Keynes
- New City Radio (Community Radio Milton Keynes Limited), Milton Keynes
- Global Voice Community Radio (Global Voice Community Radio), south central Manchester
- Peace Radio (Independent Community Unit), Moss Side, Rusholme and Fallowfield, South Manchester
- Leicester Community Radio (Leicester Community Talk Radio Limited), Leicester
- LRB Digital (Leicester Radio Broadcasting Ltd), Leicester
- Panj Pani Radio (Panj Pani Radio Ltd), Leicester
- Radio Seerah (Seerah Academy (Radio Seerah)), Leicester
2. Ofcom decided not to consider an application from the following:
- Talk Manchester Ltd