Corporate Responsibility (CR) is the action we take to ensure we are not only a responsible employer towards our colleagues, but that we also recognise and manage our impact on the wider environment and community.
Our CR programme brings together three key areas of activity that are embedded throughout the organisation:
- Diversity and equality - treat all colleagues with dignity and respect in an inclusive and fair working environment. Promote equality of opportunity for all, not only within Ofcom but also in the sectors we regulate.
- Footprint and sustainability - reduce our carbon footprint, provide value for money and ensure Ofcom’s practices are environmentally sustainable.
- Volunteering and community - engage, inspire and develop colleagues while proactively seeking to support our local community.
We believe that going beyond our duties under the terms of the Equality Act 2010 and embedding CR across our organisational approach fundamentally contributes to our success as a regulator. Some of the benefits include:
- Recognising and embracing the diversity of society helps us to make better decisions for citizens and consumers; to make communications work for everyone.
- Valuing, promoting and encouraging diversity creates a more engaged and efficient workforce.
- Being socially and environmentally responsible reduces our operational costs and builds closer links with our local community.
We are committed to acting in a responsible manner, ensuring that:
As an employer, we:
- Treat all colleagues with the dignity and respect they are entitled to.
- Promote equality of opportunity for all, irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender reassignment, marital / civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, religion / belief, or sexual orientation.
- Consider our economic, social and environmental impacts, and encourage our colleagues to adopt responsible behaviour.
- Inspire and develop our colleagues and ensure we are rooted within our local community.
As a public body, we:
- Commit to eliminating unlawful discrimination.
- Adopt socially and environmentally responsible behaviour.
- Lead by example in promoting equality, diversity and human rights.
- Reduce our carbon footprint and ensure we are environmentally sustainable in our practices.
- Demonstrate our commitment to being a good corporate citizen.
As a regulator, we:
- Fulfil our statutory objectives in an effective manner.
- Promote diversity so we can best reflect the diversity of the community we serve.
- Act in a balanced and measured way.
- Have due regard for equality and human rights in carrying out our statutory functions.
- Have due regard for the equality and human rights impact when taking strategic decisions about how to exercise our functions.
As a contracting authority we expect our suppliers of products and services (and their sub-contractors) to:
- Share our approach to corporate responsibility and commitment to equality and diversity through their policies, principles and actions.
- Understand and comply (or have plans for compliance) with all legislation relevant to their business (and their interactions with our organisation) covering such matters as environmental protection, discrimination, employment, minimum wage, health and safety, equality of treatment for all the diversity strands including making reasonable adjustments for disabled workers and to have policies, where appropriate, and to actively monitor performance against such policies.
- Communicate openly and honestly with us so we can support and develop our mutual commitment to corporate responsibility.
- Manage their suppliers of products and services responsibly.