The Future of Radio - The Next Phase
- Start: 22 November 2007
- Status: Statement published
- End: 21 December 2007
In April 2007, Ofcom published its consultation document, The Future of Radio: the future of FM and AM services and the alignment of analogue and digital regulation.
The initial consultation covered four main areas:
- Content regulation of local analogue commercial radio services;
- Commercial radio ownership rules;
- The future use of FM and AM spectrum; and
- The regulatory framework for community radio.
We received over 140 responses, and in November 2007, we published our policy statement, The Future of Radio: the next phase. In the light of the responses, we revised our proposals in two areas:
- Localness guidance for analogue (i.e. FM and AM) commercial radio
- Stereo and mono broadcasting on DAB
These were the subject of a further short consultation, where we welcomed comments providing additional evidence or arguments not already submitted in response to the first consultation.
By the closing date, we received 43 responses to this further consultation. Most broadly supported the policy statement’s approach, although some areas remained contentious.