Consultation: Starlink Internet Services Limited – applications for six non-geostationary orbit earth station (gateway) licences
- Start: 21 June 2022
- Status: Closed
- End: 19 July 2022
Non-geostationary orbiting (NGSO) satellite systems are a new way of delivering broadband services from space using a constellation of satellites in a low or medium orbit. These satellite services have the potential to deliver higher speeds and lower latency services.
As set out in our statement on non-geostationary satellite systems, we have a new process for considering applications for the following types of spectrum licence:
- Satellite (Earth Station Network): this authorises an unlimited number of user terminals to connect to the NGSO system (subject to certain conditions). It also places certain conditions on the licence holder (typically a satellite operator) to coordinate with other licence-holders.
- Satellite (Non-Geostationary Earth Station): this authorises gateway earth stations, which connect the NGSO system to the internet or to a private network.
On 27 May 2022, Ofcom received six applications from Starlink Internet Services Limited (a subsidiary of SpaceX) for Non-geostationary Earth Station (Gateway) licences operating in the Ka band frequencies. SpaceX already operates three gateways in the UK. The proposed additional gateway sites are designed to help to meet user demand and provide weather diversity and network resiliency.
We welcome stakeholders' comments on this application, including evidence on the coexistence of this system with current and future NGSO networks, and on any potential risks to competition.
- STRLNK-GAT-BRSTOL-1 application form (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- STRLNK-GAT-BRSTOL-1 annex (PDF, 169.2 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-BRSTOL-1 technical data (ZIP, 376.0 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-FAWLEY-1 application form (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- STRLNK-GAT-FAWLEY-1 annex (PDF, 169.2 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-FAWLEY-1 technical data (ZIP, 379.3 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-HOO-1 application form (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- STRLNK-GAT-HOO-1 annex (PDF, 169.2 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-HOO-1 technical data (ZIP, 379.2 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-MORNHL-1 application form (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- STRLNK-GAT-MORNHL-1 annex (PDF, 169.2 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-MORNHL-1 technical data (ZIP, 426.7 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-WHRSTD-1 application form (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- STRLNK-GAT-WHRSTD-1 annex (PDF, 169.2 KB)
- STRLNK-GAT-WHRSTD-1 technical data (ZIP, 379.3 KB)
Dim ymatebion i’w dangos.