Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

Gwybodaeth am drwyddedau gwneud rhaglenni a digwyddiadau arbennig

Frequently asked questions

All ‘Programme Making and Special Events’ (PMSE) must, by law, be licensed in the UK. The use of wireless microphones, talkback (walkie-talkies) and production services for radio and TV must all be licensed, if directly associated with a performance or event. These are the types of licences we can issue to you here.

Ways to buy a licence


You can book frequencies online for short-stay and long-stay* use of:

  • Wireless microphones and personal monitors in 470 - 790MHz*
  • Duplex and Presenter Talkback in 446/467, 455/468, 457/467, 461/468 and 474/470MHz
  • Portables (walky-talkies) in 467- 469MHz
  • Camera control in 462 and 473MHz
  • Duplex stage intercom in 560/710MHz
  • Wireless Cameras in 2, 2.5, 3.5 and 7GHz
  • Vision links for short-range use in 12GHz
  • Audio Distribution Systems at 60MHz

You can also buy discount tokens (Carnets) to pre-pay for short-stay and long-stay bookings.

You can buy UK Wireless Microphone and personal monitor licences, including:

  • 1 and 2 year licences for use of UHF frequencies throughout the UK in 606.500 - 613.500 MHz with geographic restrictions
  • 823 - 832 MHz
  • 1785 - 1805 MHz: Not available in Northern Ireland as the band was awarded in 2007 under the coordinated auction of spectrum between Ofcom and ComReg
  • 1800 - 1805 MHz: Not available within 10 km of Oakhanger, (SU776357), Colerne (ST808717) and Menwith Hill (SE210560).
  • 1 year licence for use of VHF frequencies throughout the UK in 175 - 210 MHz

You can renew your existing licence for:

  • 1 and 2 year UK Wireless Microphone Licences
  • 1 year standard licences

*Except at congested major events and subject to frequency availability


You can apply for your licence by filling in one of our application forms. Once you’ve picked the one best matched to either the type of use or type of equipment you need, please email or post to us here.


We issue licences so frequencies can be coordinated and interference avoided. By using unlicensed equipment you can cause interference to licensed users.Please make sure you have the right type of licence. If you operate equipment without a licence, you can face a fine of up to £5000 and/or serve a prison sentence. Your equipment may also be seized. If you’re unsure whether you need a licence, please contact us.