We have made restatements to the data in the mobile telecoms tables in this report. These are as a result of revisions to our estimates for those MVNOs and service providers that do not provide regular quarterly data to Ofcom. We have revised these estimates because additional wholesale data has been made available to us and because a number of mobile providers have submitted data to Ofcom for the first time.
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
- UK fixed telephony services generated £2.1bn in retail revenues in Q1 2013, £61m (2.8%) less than in Q1 2012. BT's market share of these revenues was 46.0%, 1.7 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- There were 33.1 million fixed lines at the end of Q1 2013, 177,000 (0.5%) less than a year previously and 82,000 (0.2%) down on the previous quarter.
- UK fixed lines generated 24.8 billion minutes of calls in Q1 2013, 2.2 billion minutes (8.3%) less than there had been in Q1 2012. Over the same period, BT's share of fixed-originated call volumes increased by 0.5 percentage points to 39.3%.
- There were 21.9 million UK residential and SME fixed broadband connections at the end of Q1 2013, 967,000 (4.6%) more than there had been a year previously.
- 'Other' (including FTTx) connections (predominantly fibre connections) were the main driver of broadband connection growth in the year to Q1 2013, increasing by 792,000 over the period. Cable connections increased by 163,000 during the year, while the number of ADSL increased by 13,000 connections (0.1%).
- BT's retail share of these connections was 29.8% in Q1 2013, 0.6 percentage points higher than it was in Q1 2012.
- Estimated retail mobile revenues increased by £91m (2.3%) to £4.0bn in the year to Q1 2013, however, this was a £31m (0.8%) decrease compared to the previous quarter.
- Mobile call volumes increased by 1.1% to 32.5 billion minutes in Q1 2013, but decreased by 0.8% year-on-year. In total, 36.3 billion SMS and MMS messages were sent in Q1 2013, 2.8 billion (7.2%) less than in Q1 2012.
- The number of active mobile subscribers fell by 0.8% (702,000) to 84.2 million in Q1 2013, however, this was 1.7% (1.4 million) higher than a year previously. The number of mobile broadband subscribers continued to fall in Q1 2013, down 9,000 (1.8%) compared to Q1 2012.