Telecommunications Market Data Update Q1 2015
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Please note that this update includes restated revenue figures for ‘other’ fixed providers. This is due to Ofcom revising its revenue estimates for those fixed operators that do not submit quarterly data to Ofcom.
Fixed voice services
- Total UK fixed line voice retail revenues were £2.1bn in Q1 2015, a £10m (0.5%) increase compared to the previous quarter and a £41m (1.9%) fall compared to Q1 2014. BT’s share of these revenues was 44.2%, 2.2 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- Access revenues accounted for 71.4% of total retail fixed voice revenue in Q1 2015, an increase of 2.8 percentage points compared to a year previously.
- UK fixed lines generated 19.3 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q1 2015, 1.7 billion minutes (8.3%) less than there had been in Q1 2014.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 33.3 million at the end of Q1 2015, an increase of 96,000 (0.3%) compared to a year previously.
- There were 24.0 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q1 2015, 967,000 (4.2%) more than there had been a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 32.1% at the end of Q1 2015, a 0.5 percentage point increase compared to Q1 2014.
- Of these connections, 17.5% (4.2 million) were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections), an increase of 5.7 percentage points compared to a year previously.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.73bn in retail revenues in Q1 2015, a £20m (0.5%) decrease compared to Q1 2014 and a £132m (3.4%) decrease compared to the previous quarter.
- Outgoing mobile call volumes rose by 1. 7 billion minutes (5.0%) to 35.1 billion minutes in the year to Q1 2015, but fell by 367 million minutes (1.0%) during the quarter.
- The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 25.9 billion in Q1 2015, a decrease of 2.4 billion messages (8.5%) compared to Q1 2014 and a fall of 513 million messages (1.9%) compared to the previous quarter.
- The number of active mobile subscribers increased by 2.9 million (3.6%) to 85.0 million compared to Q1 2014. The number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 5.2 million in Q1 2015, an increase of 292,000 (6.0%) compared to a year previously.