Telecommunications Market Data Update Q3 2014
12 Chwefror 2015
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- Total fixed telephony revenues were £2.0bn in Q3 2014, a fall of £97m (4.7%) compared to Q3 2013 and £43m (2.1%) during the quarter. BT’s share of these revenues was 47.0% during the period, an increase of 1.1 percentage points compared to a year previously.
- Total fixed-originated call volumes across all operators dropped by 528 million minutes (2.6%) to 19.7 billion minutes in Q3 2014. This represented a fall of 2.4 billion minutes (10.9%) compared to Q3 2013.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (comprising PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 32.6 million at the end of Q3 2014, a fall of 318,000 (1.0%) from the previous quarter and a 646,000 (1.9%) decline compared to a year previously.
- The total number of residential and small business broadband connections increased by 192,000 (0.8%) to 23.4 million in Q3 2014. In the year to Q3 2014 the increase in the number of connections was 927,000 (4.1%).
- The proportion of fixed broadband connections provided using ADSL fell to 66.5% during the quarter, the first time that less than two-thirds of connections were ADSL since 2004. This decline was largely due to an increase in the proportion of ‘other’ connections (which are almost all fibre), which increased by 1.2pp to 14.4%.
- BT’s share of residential and small business broadband connections was 31.9% at the end of Q3 2014, representing a 0.1% fall compared to the previous quarter and a 1.1% increase compared to Q3 2013.
- Estimated retail revenues generated by mobile telephony services increased by £80m (2.1%) to £3.9bn in the year to Q3 2014 and by £62m (1.6%) compared to the previous quarter. Mobile data service revenues increased by £85 million (12.8%) to £752m in the year to Q3 2014 and £30m (4.2%) compared to Q2 2014.
- Outgoing mobile call volumes rose by 520 million minutes (1.5%) to 34.0 billion minutes in the year to Q3 2014, but fell by 170 million minutes (0.5%), from 34.2 billion minutes, during the quarter. Total SMS and MMS message volumes fell by 5.4 billion messages (16.8%) to 26.6 billion messages in the year to Q3 2014.
- The number of active mobile subscribers increased by 897,000 (1.1%) to 84.3 million in the year to Q3 2014, and by 985,000 (1.2%) compared to the previous quarter. The number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) increased by 2.8% (137,000) to 5.1 million in the year to Q3 2014 and by 130,000 (2.6%) compared to the previous quarter.