Telecommunications Market Data Update Q3 2012
10 Ebrill 2012
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
- Retail fixed voice telephony services generated £2.1bn in revenues in Q3 2012, £61m (2.8%) less than in Q3 2011. Over this period a £103m (11.1%) fall in call revenues was offset by a £42m (3.3%) increase in access revenues.
- There were 26.1 billion minutes of fixed originated calls in Q3 2012, 2.5 billion minutes (8.7%) less than in Q3 2011. BT's retail share of these calls was 37.1% in Q3 2012, unchanged from the previous quarter and 0.2 percentage points less than in Q3 2011.
- At the end of Q3 2012 there were a total of 33.0 million analogue lines and ISDN channels, 223,000 (0.7%) less than there had been at the end of Q3 2011. BT's retail share of these lines was 44.6% at the end of Q3 2012, 3.6 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- There were 21.4 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q3 2012, 1.3 million (6.5%) more than there had been a year previously. BT's retail share of these connections was 29.4%, unchanged from the previous quarter and 0.2 percentage points higher than it had been at the end of Q3 2011.
- The proportion of connections which were classed as being ‘other' (predominantly consisting of FTTx connections) was 3.0% in Q3 2012, up from 1.5% in Q3 2011. Over the same period the proportion of connections which were provided over Virgin Media's cable network fell from 20.4% in Q3 2011 to 19.8% in Q3 2012.
- In Q3 2012, mobile retail revenues increased 1.4% quarter-on-quarter, but decreased 0.1% compared with Q3 2011. The proportion of retail revenues attributable to access and bundled services and to out-of-bundle data both increased on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Mobile call volumes decreased 0.5% quarter-on-quarter and decreased 1.4% compared with one year earlier, in Q3 2012. The volume of SMS and MMS messages decreased by 4.3% quarter-on-quarter and 1.2% compared with one year earlier: this was a third consecutive quarterly decline.
- In Q3 2012, the number of active mobile subscribers increased 0.5% quarter-on-quarter, and increased 0.8% compared with Q3 2011. The proportion of active mobile subscribers on postpaid tariffs increased to 52.1%. The number of active mobile broadband subscribers increased 0.4% quarter-on-quarter.