In this update we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- Total UK fixed voice service revenues stood at £2.1bn in Q3 2017, a decrease of £15m (0.7%) from the previous quarter and £38m (1.8%) from Q3 2016. BT’s share of these revenues (excluding EE) was 43.3%, a fall of 1.6 percentage points compared to a year previously.
- Fixed voice call volumes continued to decline in Q3 2017, with the total number of outgoing minutes generated by UK landlines dropping by 3.2% to 12.8 billion, representing a year-on-year decrease of 18.4%.
- There were 32.8 million fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) at the end of Q3 2017, 227k (0.7%) fewer than in Q2 2017 and a 746k (2.2%) fall compared to a year previously.
Fixed broadband services
- There were 25.4 million UK fixed broadband lines at the end of Q3 2017, an increase of 80k (0.3%) compared to Q2 2017 and up 432k (1.7%) from a year previously.
- Of these lines, 7.9 million (31.1%) were “other inc. FTTx” lines – predominantly fibre broadband connections - a 5.9pp year-on-year increase.
- BT’s retail share of fixed broadband lines (excluding EE) was 32.5% at the end of Q3 2017, a 0.1pp fall compared to the previous quarter and a year-on-year decrease of 0.4pp.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.9bn in retail revenues in Q3 2017, a £104m (2.7%) increase from the previous quarter and a £56m (1.4%) increase compared to a year previously.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) was 84.5 million at the end of Q3 2017, up 0.3 million (0.4%) from a year previously. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) remained stable at 5.0 million.
- Average revenue per subscriber in Q3 2017 was £15.62, with post-pay subscribers generating more revenue than pre-pay subscribers (at £21.08 and £5.03 respectively).
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q3 2017 (PDF, 362.2 KB)
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q3 2017 (CSV, 17.6 KB)