Mae'r cynnwys hwn ar gael yn Saesneg yn unig.

Digital Television Update - 2009 Q2

29 Medi 2009

Overview

1.1 Survey results for the second quarter of 2009, the three months to the end of June, show that take-up of digital television in UK households increased to 89.8%, up by 0.6 percentage points (pp) from 89.2% in Q1 2009, and up by 1.9 pp year on year.

1.2 With a majority of main sets now able to receive digital TV, many consumers continue to convert additional sets in the home. As a result almost 70% of all secondary TV sets had been converted to multichannel by the end of Q2, up by around 15 percentage points in a year.

1.3 Taking these figures together, 80% of all TV sets had converted to multichannel television by the end of Q2 2009 (up 11 percentage points on a year ago and up by 7pp quarter on quarter). The remaining 20% of sets continue to receive analogue terrestrial broadcasts.

Other findings

1.4 Other findings in the second quarter of 2009 include:

  • Sales of DTT enabled equipment in Q1 reached almost 2.7 million units, up by 15% on Q2 2008. Integrated digital television sets (IDTVs) accounted for almost 75% of sales in the quarter (2.0 million units), with around 96% of sets sold now including an integrated DTT decoder.
  • Freeview set-top boxes accounted for over 680,000 sales in the quarter, down 25% on last year, with a vast majority of TVs sold now already equipped with an integrated digital receiver. Over the past year around 13.0 million DTT units (IDTVs and set-top-boxes) have been sold, compared to 12.1 million in the previous year, an increase of almost 8%.
  • DTT-only households (free and pay) rose by around 85,000 in Q2, with over 9.9 million homes relying solely on DTT for multichannel viewing.
  • Q2 sales data for BBC/ITV freesat show that unit sales had reached around 450,000 by the end of June, up from 350,000 units in Q1. Over three quarters (79%) of freesat decoders sold supported HD services by Q2. According to consumer research results for Q2, almost 700,000 homes claimed to be using some form of free-to-view digital satellite device on their main set.
  • The Q2 survey also indicated that 9.6 million, or around 37% of homes, received satellite TV services (either pay or free-to-view). Pay satellite homes accounted for just over 8.9 million with free-to-view adding a further 700,000 homes during the quarter.
  • Just over 40% of households (10.3 million) received free-to-view digital television on their main set at the end of June, 37.6% had a non-pay DTT decoder and 2.7% had free-to-view satellite.
  • Research results for Q2 show that just over 12% of homes took cable television. Separately, Virgin Media reported net additions of almost 20,400 new TV subscribers, taking its total TV customer base to over 3.67 million. Digital cable added over 32,900 subscribers in the quarter (including conversions from analogue cable) and accounted for over 96% of all cable television customers.

1.5 We have made the following assumptions in this report:

  • In calculating platform totals, DTT-only homes are defined as those where DTT is the only multichannel television platform in the home (figures for homes which have DTT as well as another platform are included in Sections 2 and 3 of the report).
  • A household with either a satellite or cable subscription in addition to DTT equipment is counted primarily as a satellite or cable home.