Parcel companies

Published: 30 March 2023
Last updated: 30 March 2023

Although we regulate the postal industry, we cannot investigate individual complaints about parcel companies.

If you bought something from a business to be delivered, under consumer law it’s the retailer’s responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you. If goods are not delivered to you or the goods delivered are damaged, it is the retailer who is legally responsible for resolving these issues – so you should contact them.

However, if you have a contract with the parcel company or the problem relates to the delivery itself (for example, the behaviour of the delivery driver), you should complain to the parcel company.

Ofcom rules mean that parcel delivery companies like Amazon Logistics, DPD, DHL, Evri, Parcelforce, Royal Mail and Yodel, must have a complaints procedure you can follow. If you have a complaint about one of these companies, please contact their customer services team.

From 1 April 2023, Ofcom's complaints guidance comes into effect. This means that, if you complain to a parcel company, you should be told:

  • who to contact;
  • which channels you can use to make a complaint;
  • what the complaint process will be, and how long it should take to resolve; and
  • that the complaint should be dealt with by staff who have received appropriate training.

If you remain unhappy with the company’s response to your complaint, you should seek independent legal advice.

Other sources of help

Citizens Advice provides free, confidential, independent and impartial advice for postal consumers in England and Wales. You can call the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 1133 or visit their website.

Citizens Advice provides Ofcom with information about the type of problems that people are experiencing with parcel delivery services. This useful information helps us to monitor the industry.

People in Scotland can contact Advice Direct Scotland on 0808 196 8660 or visit their website.

People in Northern Ireland can contact the Consumer Council on 0800 121 6022 or visit their website.

Rate this page

Thank you for your feedback.

We read all feedback but are not able to respond. If you have a specific query you should see other ways to contact us.

Was this page helpful?
Back to top