Telecommunications market data update Q1 2016
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Please note that this update includes restated figures for ‘other’ fixed providers. This is due to Ofcom revising its estimates for those fixed operators that do not submit quarterly data to Ofcom.
Fixed voice services
- Total UK fixed line voice retail revenues remained fairly stable in Q1 2016, at £2.1bn. This represented an increase of £11m (0.5%) compared to Q1 2015. BT’s share of these revenues was 43.4%, 0.9 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- Access revenues accounted for 73.7% of total retail fixed voice revenue in Q1 2016, an increase of 2.8 percentage points compared to a year previously.
- UK fixed lines generated 17.4 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q1 2016, 2.5 billion (12.5%) less than in Q1 2015.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 33.6 million at the end of Q1 2016, an increase of 103,000 (0.3%) compared to a year previously.
- There were 25.0 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q1 2016, 947,000 (3.9%) more than there had been a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 32.4%, a 0.3 percentage point increase compared to Q1 2015.
- Of these connections, 23.4% (5.8 million) were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections), an increase of 5.9 percentage points compared to a year previously.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.8bn in retail revenues in Q1 2016, a £34m (0.9%) decrease compared to the previous quarter, but a £68m (1.8%) increase compared to Q1 2015.
- Outgoing mobile call volumes remained fairly stable in Q1 2016, at 36.8 billion minutes. This represented an increase of 1.8 billion minutes (5.1%) compared to a year previously.
- The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 24.1 billion in Q1 2016, a decrease of 1.2 billion messages (4.6%) compared to the previous quarter and a fall of 1.8 billion messages (6.8%) compared to a year previously.
- The number of active mobile subscribers increased by 0.4 million (0.5%) in the year to Q1 2016, to 83.9 million. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) increased by 0.3 million (5.8%) to 5.5 million.