Telecommunications Market Data Update Q2 2013
10 December 2013
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- UK fixed-line telephony services generated £2.1bn in retail revenues in Q2 2013, £33m (1.5%) less than in Q2 2012. BT’s market share of these revenues was 45.9%, 1.4 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- There were 33.2 million fixed lines at the end of Q2 2013, 37,000 (0.1%) more than a year previously and 119,000 (0.4%) up on the previous quarter.
- UK fixed lines generated 23.2 billion minutes of calls in Q2 2013, 2.6 billion minutes (10.2%) less than there had been in Q2 2012. Over the same period, BT’s share of fixed-originated call volumes increased by 0.7 percentage points to 39.2%
- There were 22.1 million UK residential and SME fixed broadband connections at the end of Q2 2013, 1.0 million (4.8%) more than there had been a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 30.0% in Q2 2013, 0.5 percentage points higher than it was in Q2 2012.
- The number of ‘Other’ fixed broadband connections (which are predominantly fibre-based connections) increased by 1.0 million to 1.6 million connections (7.3% of the total) in the year to June 2013.
- The number of cable broadband connections increased by 156,000 (3.8%) over the same period, while the total number of ADSL connections fell by 146,000 (0.9%) to 16.2 million.
- Estimated retail revenues generated by mobile telephony services fell by £151m (3.8%) to £3.8bn in the year to Q2 2013, and by £169m (4.2%) compared to the previous quarter.
- Mobile call volumes decreased by 129 million minutes billion minutes (0.4%) to 33.0 billion minutes in the year to Q2 2013. Over the same period, total SMS and MMS message volumes fell by 11.5 billion messages (26.2%) to 32.3 billion messages.
- The number of active mobile subscribers fell by 321,000 (0.4%) to 83.0 million in Q1 2013. However, this was an increase of 834,000 (1.0%) compared to Q2 2012.
- The number of active dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions fell by 1.2% (59,000) to 4.8 million in Q2 2013. It also fell on an annual basis, down by 257,000 connections (5.0%).
The full document is available below