In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- UK fixed-line telephony services generated £2.1bn in retail revenues in Q2 2013, £33m (1.5%) less than in Q2 2012. BT’s market share of these revenues was 45.9%, 1.4 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- There were 33.2 million fixed lines at the end of Q2 2013, 37,000 (0.1%) more than a year previously and 119,000 (0.4%) up on the previous quarter.
- UK fixed lines generated 23.2 billion minutes of calls in Q2 2013, 2.6 billion minutes (10.2%) less than there had been in Q2 2012. Over the same period, BT’s share of fixed-originated call volumes increased by 0.7 percentage points to 39.2%
- There were 22.1 million UK residential and SME fixed broadband connections at the end of Q2 2013, 1.0 million (4.8%) more than there had been a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 30.0% in Q2 2013, 0.5 percentage points higher than it was in Q2 2012.
- The number of ‘Other’ fixed broadband connections (which are predominantly fibre-based connections) increased by 1.0 million to 1.6 million connections (7.3% of the total) in the year to June 2013.
- The number of cable broadband connections increased by 156,000 (3.8%) over the same period, while the total number of ADSL connections fell by 146,000 (0.9%) to 16.2 million.
- Estimated retail revenues generated by mobile telephony services fell by £151m (3.8%) to £3.8bn in the year to Q2 2013, and by £169m (4.2%) compared to the previous quarter.
- Mobile call volumes decreased by 129 million minutes billion minutes (0.4%) to 33.0 billion minutes in the year to Q2 2013. Over the same period, total SMS and MMS message volumes fell by 11.5 billion messages (26.2%) to 32.3 billion messages.
- The number of active mobile subscribers fell by 321,000 (0.4%) to 83.0 million in Q1 2013. However, this was an increase of 834,000 (1.0%) compared to Q2 2012.
- The number of active dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions fell by 1.2% (59,000) to 4.8 million in Q2 2013. It also fell on an annual basis, down by 257,000 connections (5.0%).
The full document is available below
Q2 2013 Telecoms Data Tables (CSV, 19.4 KB)
Q2 2013 telecoms data tables (PDF, 781.8 KB)