In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector. We have restated the fixed broadband connection figures in this report to reflect more accurate data.
Fixed voice services
- Fixed voice services generated £2.0bn in retail revenues in Q2 2014, a fall of £85m (4.0%) compared to a year previously. BT’s share of these revenues was 46.0%, a 0.1 percentage point increase compared to Q2 2013.
- The total number of PSTN lines and ISDN channels fell by 495,000 (1.5%) to 32.9 million in the year to Q2 2014. During this period a 715,000 fall in the number of business lines was partially offset by a 220,000 increase in the number of residential lines.
- Outgoing fixed call volumes totalled 20.2 billion minutes in Q2 2014, a fall of 3.0 billion minutes (12.7%) compared to Q2 2013. BT’s fixed call volume share fell by 0.8 percentage points to 38.4% over this period.
- At the end of Q2 2014 there were 23.2 million UK fixed broadband connections, an increase of 874,000 (3.9%) compared to a year previously.
- Over three million of these were ‘other (inc FTTx)’ fixed broadband connections (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections), equating to 13.2% of all connections.
- BT’s share of fixed broadband connections was 32.0% at the end of Q2 2014, an increase of 1.6 percentage points compared to a year previously.
- Estimated retail revenues generated by mobile telephony services increased by £43 million (1.1%) to £3.9 billion in the year to Q2 2014. Mobile data service revenues increased by £57 million (8.7%) to £704 million over the same period.
- Outgoing mobile call volumes increased by 759 million minutes (2.3%) to 34.2 billion minutes from the previous quarter. Total SMS and MMS message volumes fell by 4.8 billion messages (14.7%) to 27.5 billion messages in the year to Q2 2014.
- The number of active mobile subscribers increased by 940,000 (1.2%) to 83.8 million compared to the previous quarter.
- The number of active dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) increased by 1.0% (51,000) to 5.0 million compared to the previous quarter.
- Interconnection call volumes fell by two billion minutes (13.4%) in the year to Q2 2014.
Q2 2014 Telecom Data Update datafile (CSV, 19.7 KB)
Q2 2014 telecoms tables (PDF, 272.4 KB)