Telecommunications Market Data Update Q2 2015
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Please note that this update includes restated revenue figures for ‘other’ fixed providers. This is due to Ofcom revising its revenue estimates for those fixed operators that do not submit quarterly data to Ofcom.
Fixed voice services
- Total UK fixed line voice retail revenues were £2.1bn in Q2 2015, £25m (1.2%) less than in the previous quarter and a £7m (0.3%) decrease compared to Q2 2014. BT’s share of these revenues was 44.0%, 0.9 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- Access revenues accounted for 72.1% of the total retail fixed voice revenue in Q2 2015, a 3.2 percentage point increase compared to a year previously.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 33.6 million at the end of Q2 2015, an increase of 209,000 (0.6%) compared to a year previously.
- UK fixed lines generated 17.7 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q2 2015, a decrease of 1.7 billion minutes (8.9%) compared to the previous quarter and a 2.5 billion minute (12.2%) fall compared to Q2 2014.
- There were 24.2 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q2 2015, 955,000 (4.1%) more than there had been a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 32.3% at the end of Q2 2015, a 0.2 percentage point increase compared to a year previously.
- Of these connections, 4.6 million (19.0%) were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections), an increase of 5.9 percentage points compared to Q2 2014.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.8bn in retail revenues in Q2 2015, a £40m (1.1%) increase from the previous quarter and a £36m (0.9%) decrease compared to Q2 2014.
- Total outgoing mobile call volumes were 35.8 billion minutes in Q2 2015, an increase of 0.7 billion minutes (2.1%) since the previous quarter and of 1.5 billion minutes (4.2%) since Q2 2014.
- The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 25.7 billion in Q2 2015, a decrease of 76 million messages (0.3%) compared to the previous quarter and 2.2 billion messages (7.8%) compared to Q2 2014.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions increased by 2.5 million (3.1%) to 84.7 million compared to Q2 2014. The number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 5.3 million in Q2 2015, an increase of 0.4 million (7.4%) compared to a year previously.