In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
- Total UK fixed-line revenues were 2.3bn in Q2 2010, 4.5% lower than they had been a year previously.
- Over the same period total UK fixed call volumes fell by 3.8% to 31.1 billion minutes and the total number of UK fixed lines fell by 1.0% to 33.4 million.
- BTs share of total fixed-line revenues was 52.1% in Q2 2010, 5.3 percentage points lower that it had been a year previously.
- At the end of Q2 2010 there were an estimated 18.8 million UK non-corporate fixed broadband connections, an increase of 6.3% on a year previously.
- BT continued to be the largest provider of non-corporate broadband connections, with an estimated share of 27.0%, an annual increase of 0.4 percentage points.
- Total mobile revenues declined by 2.6% between Q2 2009 and Q2 2010 across the three mobile operators covered in the data tables (Everything Everywhere, O2 and Vodafone). Revenues from calls and other charges and messaging services decreased by 1.5% and 7.2% respectively.
- Total call volumes for the three operators increased by 4.1% between Q2 2009 and Q2 2010, a slower rate of increase than the previous quarter (+6.1%). Calls to international destinations declined by 7% year-on-year; in contrast international roaming calls volumes increased by 9% over the same period.
- There were over 27 billlion SMS and MMS messages sent from the three networks in Q2 2010, a 22% increase on Q2 2009 volumes; however quarter-on-quarter growth slowed to just 1% between Q1 2010 and Q2 2010.
- The number of active mobile subscribers for Everything Everywhere, O2 and Vodafone (excluding MVNO connections) stood at 65 million at the end of Q2 2010 with more than 45% on post-pay.
1.- The commentary provided only refers to the three (four before the merger of Orange and T-Mobile) mobile operators covered in this report.
Telecommunications market data tables Q2 2010 (PDF, 483.5 KB)
Q2 2010 Telecom Data Tables (CSV, 71.9 KB)