In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
- Total UK fixed line voice retail revenues were £2.2bn in Q2 2011, £168m (7.2%) lower than in Q2 2010. BT’s share of these revenues was 49.8%, 0.6 percentage points higher than in the previous quarter.
- 29.1 billion minutes of fixed-originated calls were made during the quarter, 9.1% less than a year previously.
- There were 33.3million fixed lines at the end of June 2011, a 158,000 decrease compared to June 2010. BT’s share of fixed lines fell to under 50% for the first time during the quarter, and was 49.3% at the end of the period.
- The total number of non-corporate fixed broadband connections passed 20 million for the first time during the quarter, and there were 20.3 million at the end of June 2011, 7.3% more than there had been a year previously.
- BT’s share of fixed broadband connections was 28.0% at the end of June 2011, one percentage point higher than at the end of Q2 2010.
- Mobile voice and data services generated an estimated £3.7bn in revenues in Q2 2011, £36m (1.0%) less than in 2010 Q2.
- For the second successive quarter mobile-originated call volumes (30.7 billion minutes) were higher than fixed-originated call volumes, with mobile now accounting for 51.3% of outgoing call volumes, though mobile call volumes still fell fell 1.6% compared to Q2 2010.
- Growth in the total number of SMS and MMS messages appears to have slowed, with the number sent in Q2 2011 0.2% higher than Q1 2011. This follows a rise of 2.5% in the previous quarter and a rise of 18.8% from Q2 2010 to Q2 2011.
- The total number of UK mobile connections fell by 316,000 to 80.8 million in Q2 2011. Pre-pay connections fell by 858,000 as consumers continue to migrate to pay-monthly contracts (up by 539,000). Of the 80.8 million total connections, 5.0 million (6.2%) were mobile broadband datacards or dongles.
The full document is available below
Telecommunications market data tables Q2 2011 (PDF, 494.4 KB)
Telecommunications market data tables Q2 2011 (CSV, 21.6 KB)