In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Please note that this update includes restated figures for ‘other’ fixed providers. This is due to Ofcom revising its estimates for those fixed operators that do not submit quarterly data to Ofcom.
Fixed voice services
- Total UK fixed line voice retail revenues were £2.1bn in Q3 2015, up £14m (0.7%) from the previous quarter and a £2m (0.1%) increase compared to Q3 2014. BT’s share of these revenues was 44.2%, 0.7 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- Access revenues accounted for 71.9% of the total retail fixed voice revenue in Q3 2015, a 2.8 percentage point increase compared to Q3 2014.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 33.6 million at the end of Q3 2015, an increase of 255k (0.8%) compared to a year previously.
- UK fixed lines generated 17.7 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q3 2015, down 0.3 billion minutes (1.5%) compared to the previous quarter and a 2.1 billion minute (10.4%) fall compared to Q3 2014.
- There were 24.4 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q3 2015, an increase of 991k (4.2%) compared to a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 32.3% at the end of Q3 2015, an increase of 0.3 percentage points compared to Q3 2014.
- Of these connections, just under five million (20.5%) were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections), a 6.1 percentage points increase compared to a year previously.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.8bn in retail revenues in Q3 2015, a £45m (1.2%) increase from the previous quarter and a £39m (1.0%) decrease compared to Q3 2014.
- Total outgoing mobile call volumes were 34.9 billion minutes in Q3 2015, a decrease of 0.8 billion minutes (2.3%) since the previous quarter and an increase of 0.8 billion minutes (2.3%) since Q3 2014.
- The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 24.7 billion in Q3 2015, a decrease of 1.0 billion messages (3.9%) compared to the previous quarter and a fall of 2.3 billion messages (8.5%) compared to Q3 2014.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions increased by 2.5 million (3.0%) to 85.5 million in the year to Q3 2015. The number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 5.6 million in Q3 2015, an increase of 0.5 million (9.3%) compared to a year previously.
Q3 2015 Telecom Data Update datafile (CSV, 18.7 KB)
Q3 2015 telecoms tables (PDF, 284.0 KB)