In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Please note that this update includes restated figures for ‘other’ fixed providers. This is due to Ofcom revising its estimates for those fixed operators that do not submit quarterly data to Ofcom.
Fixed voice services
- Total UK fixed line voice retail revenues were £2.1bn in Q3 2016, in line with the previous quarter and a £41m (2.0%) increase compared to Q3 2015. BT’s share of these revenues was 44.9%, 0.9 percentage points higher than it had been a year previously.
- Access revenues accounted for 74.7% of the total retail fixed voice revenue in Q3 2016, a 3.1 percentage point increase compared to Q3 2015.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 33.6 million at the end of Q3 2016, a decrease of 27k (0.1%) compared to a year previously.
- UK fixed lines generated 15.7 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q3 2016, down 0.6 billion minutes (4.0%) compared to the previous quarter and a 2.3 billion minute (12.8%) fall compared to Q3 2015.
- There were 25.1 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q3 2016, an increase of 700k (2.9%) compared to a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 32.7% at the end of Q3 2016, an increase of 0.4 percentage points compared to Q3 2015.
- Of these connections, 6.2 million (24.9%) were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections), a 4.4 percentage points increase compared to a year previously.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.9bn in retail revenues in Q3 2016, a £72m (1.9%) increase from the previous quarter and a £47m (1.2%) increase compared to Q3 2015.
- Total outgoing mobile call volumes were 37.6 billion minutes in Q3 2016, a decrease of 0.4 billion minutes (1.2%) since the previous quarter but up 2.6 billion minutes (7.5%) since Q3 2015.
- The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 24.1 billion in Q3 2016, in line with the previous quarter but down 1.0 billion messages (4.2%) compared to Q3 2015.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) decreased by 1.3 million (1.5%) to 83.7 million in the year to Q3 2016. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (again, excluding M2M) remained broadly stable at 5.6 million.
Q3 2016 telecoms data tables (csv)
Q3 2016 telecoms data tables (pdf) PDF, 66.4 KB