In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
- Retail fixed voice telephony services generated £2.1bn in revenues in Q3 2012, £61m (2.8%) less than in Q3 2011. Over this period a £103m (11.1%) fall in call revenues was offset by a £42m (3.3%) increase in access revenues.
- There were 26.1 billion minutes of fixed originated calls in Q3 2012, 2.5 billion minutes (8.7%) less than in Q3 2011. BT's retail share of these calls was 37.1% in Q3 2012, unchanged from the previous quarter and 0.2 percentage points less than in Q3 2011.
- At the end of Q3 2012 there were a total of 33.0 million analogue lines and ISDN channels, 223,000 (0.7%) less than there had been at the end of Q3 2011. BT's retail share of these lines was 44.6% at the end of Q3 2012, 3.6 percentage points less than it had been a year previously.
- There were 21.4 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q3 2012, 1.3 million (6.5%) more than there had been a year previously. BT's retail share of these connections was 29.4%, unchanged from the previous quarter and 0.2 percentage points higher than it had been at the end of Q3 2011.
- The proportion of connections which were classed as being ‘other' (predominantly consisting of FTTx connections) was 3.0% in Q3 2012, up from 1.5% in Q3 2011. Over the same period the proportion of connections which were provided over Virgin Media's cable network fell from 20.4% in Q3 2011 to 19.8% in Q3 2012.
- In Q3 2012, mobile retail revenues increased 1.4% quarter-on-quarter, but decreased 0.1% compared with Q3 2011. The proportion of retail revenues attributable to access and bundled services and to out-of-bundle data both increased on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Mobile call volumes decreased 0.5% quarter-on-quarter and decreased 1.4% compared with one year earlier, in Q3 2012. The volume of SMS and MMS messages decreased by 4.3% quarter-on-quarter and 1.2% compared with one year earlier: this was a third consecutive quarterly decline.
- In Q3 2012, the number of active mobile subscribers increased 0.5% quarter-on-quarter, and increased 0.8% compared with Q3 2011. The proportion of active mobile subscribers on postpaid tariffs increased to 52.1%. The number of active mobile broadband subscribers increased 0.4% quarter-on-quarter.
Q3 2012 Telecoms Data Tables (CSV, 20.5 KB)
Q3 2012 telecoms data tables (PDF, 53.5 KB)