Telecommunications Market Data Update Q4 2013
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- UK fixed-line telephony services generated £2.1bn in retail revenues in Q4 2013, £31.7m (1.5%) less than in Q4 2012. Over the same period, BT’s market share of these revenues increased by 1.0 percentage points to 47.0%.
- There were 33.4 million fixed lines at the end of Q4 2013, 186,000 (0.6%) more than a year previously and 194,000 (0.6%) up on the previous quarter.
- UK fixed lines generated 21.8 billion minutes of calls in Q4 2013, 3.2 billion minutes (12.7%) less than in Q4 2012.
Fixed broadband services
- There were 22.6 million UK residential and SME fixed broadband connections at the end of Q4 2013, 941,000 (4.3%) more than there had been a year previously.
- BT retail’s share of these connections was 30.7% in Q4 2013, one percentage points higher than it was in Q4 2012.
- At the end of December 2013 there were 2.4 million ‘Other’ fixed broadband connections (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections) equivalent to 10.5% of the total. This was up from 1.1 million (5.1% of the total) a year previously.
- The number of cable broadband connections increased by 104,000 (2.4%) over the same period, while the total number of ADSL connections fell by 423,000 (2.6%) to 15.8 million.
Mobile voice and data services
- Estimated retail revenues generated by mobile telephony services fell by £95m (2.4%) to £3.9bn in the year to Q4 2013 and increased by £92m (2.4%) from the previous quarter.
- Outgoing mobile call volumes increased by 1.4 billion minutes (4.3%) to 34.3 billion minutes in the year to Q4 2013.
- Over the same period, total SMS and MMS message volumes fell by 11.2 billion messages (26.5%) to 31.1 billion messages.
- The number of active mobile subscribers fell by 350,000 (0.4%) to 83.1 million in the year to Q4 2013.
- The number of active dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) fell by 0.8% (41,000) to 4.9 million in Q4 2013. It also fell on an annual basis, down by 161,000 connections (3.2%).
The full document is available below