In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- UK fixed-line telephony services generated £2.1bn in retail revenues in Q4 2013, £31.7m (1.5%) less than in Q4 2012. Over the same period, BT’s market share of these revenues increased by 1.0 percentage points to 47.0%.
- There were 33.4 million fixed lines at the end of Q4 2013, 186,000 (0.6%) more than a year previously and 194,000 (0.6%) up on the previous quarter.
- UK fixed lines generated 21.8 billion minutes of calls in Q4 2013, 3.2 billion minutes (12.7%) less than in Q4 2012.
Fixed broadband services
- There were 22.6 million UK residential and SME fixed broadband connections at the end of Q4 2013, 941,000 (4.3%) more than there had been a year previously.
- BT retail’s share of these connections was 30.7% in Q4 2013, one percentage points higher than it was in Q4 2012.
- At the end of December 2013 there were 2.4 million ‘Other’ fixed broadband connections (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections) equivalent to 10.5% of the total. This was up from 1.1 million (5.1% of the total) a year previously.
- The number of cable broadband connections increased by 104,000 (2.4%) over the same period, while the total number of ADSL connections fell by 423,000 (2.6%) to 15.8 million.
Mobile voice and data services
- Estimated retail revenues generated by mobile telephony services fell by £95m (2.4%) to £3.9bn in the year to Q4 2013 and increased by £92m (2.4%) from the previous quarter.
- Outgoing mobile call volumes increased by 1.4 billion minutes (4.3%) to 34.3 billion minutes in the year to Q4 2013.
- Over the same period, total SMS and MMS message volumes fell by 11.2 billion messages (26.5%) to 31.1 billion messages.
- The number of active mobile subscribers fell by 350,000 (0.4%) to 83.1 million in the year to Q4 2013.
- The number of active dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) fell by 0.8% (41,000) to 4.9 million in Q4 2013. It also fell on an annual basis, down by 161,000 connections (3.2%).
The full document is available below
Q4 2013 Telecoms Data Tables (CSV, 19.1 KB)
Q4 2013 Telecoms Data Tables (PDF, 528.1 KB)