Telecommunications Market Data Update Q4 2014
12 February 2015
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- Retail fixed voice services generated £2.03bn in revenue in Q4 2014, a £6m (0.3%) increase compared to the previous quarter and a £56m (2.7%) fall compared to Q4 2013. BT’s share of these revenues was 46.2%, a decline of 0.8 percentage points compared to Q4 2013.
- Access revenues accounted for 69.0% of total retail fixed voice revenue in Q4 2014, a 2.6 percentage point increase compared to a year previously.
- Fixed lines generated 19.3 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q4 2014, a fall of 2.6 billion minutes (11.8%) compared to Q4 2013.
- There were 33.2 million PSTN lines and ISDN channels at the end of 2014, down 77,000 (0.2%) compared to the end of 2013.
- There were 23.7 million fixed broadband connections at the end of 2014, an increase of 923,000 (4.0%) compared to a year previously. BT’s share of these connections was 32.0% at the end of Q4 2014, a 0.8 percentage point increase compared to Q4 2013.
- The proportion of these connections that were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (which are almost all fibre broadband connections), increased from 10.3% to 15.4% in the year to December 2014.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.85 billion in retail revenues in Q4 2014, a £9 million (0.2%) increase compared to Q4 2013 and an £11 million (0.3%) increase compared to the previous quarter. Mobile data services generated £676million revenue in Q4 2014, £49 million (7.8%) more than in Q4 2013.
- There were 35.4 billion outgoing mobile call minutes in Q4 2014, 298 million minutes (0.8%) more than in Q4 2013. The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 26.4 billion in Q4 2014, a decrease of 4.4 billion messages (14.4%) compared to Q4 2013 and a fall of 629 million messages (2.3%) compared to the previous quarter.
- Excluding M2M connections, there were 83.7 million mobile subscriptions the end of Q4 2014, 994,000 more (1.2%) than a year previously. The number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 5.2 million in Q4 2014, an increase of 292,000 (5.9%) compared to Q4 2013.