In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- Retail fixed voice services generated £2.03bn in revenue in Q4 2014, a £6m (0.3%) increase compared to the previous quarter and a £56m (2.7%) fall compared to Q4 2013. BT’s share of these revenues was 46.2%, a decline of 0.8 percentage points compared to Q4 2013.
- Access revenues accounted for 69.0% of total retail fixed voice revenue in Q4 2014, a 2.6 percentage point increase compared to a year previously.
- Fixed lines generated 19.3 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q4 2014, a fall of 2.6 billion minutes (11.8%) compared to Q4 2013.
- There were 33.2 million PSTN lines and ISDN channels at the end of 2014, down 77,000 (0.2%) compared to the end of 2013.
- There were 23.7 million fixed broadband connections at the end of 2014, an increase of 923,000 (4.0%) compared to a year previously. BT’s share of these connections was 32.0% at the end of Q4 2014, a 0.8 percentage point increase compared to Q4 2013.
- The proportion of these connections that were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (which are almost all fibre broadband connections), increased from 10.3% to 15.4% in the year to December 2014.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.85 billion in retail revenues in Q4 2014, a £9 million (0.2%) increase compared to Q4 2013 and an £11 million (0.3%) increase compared to the previous quarter. Mobile data services generated £676million revenue in Q4 2014, £49 million (7.8%) more than in Q4 2013.
- There were 35.4 billion outgoing mobile call minutes in Q4 2014, 298 million minutes (0.8%) more than in Q4 2013. The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 26.4 billion in Q4 2014, a decrease of 4.4 billion messages (14.4%) compared to Q4 2013 and a fall of 629 million messages (2.3%) compared to the previous quarter.
- Excluding M2M connections, there were 83.7 million mobile subscriptions the end of Q4 2014, 994,000 more (1.2%) than a year previously. The number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 5.2 million in Q4 2014, an increase of 292,000 (5.9%) compared to Q4 2013.
Q4 2014 Telecom Data Update datafile (CSV, 18.5 KB)
Q4 2014 telecoms tables (PDF, 232.2 KB)