In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Please note that this update includes restated figures for ‘other’ fixed providers. This is due to Ofcom revising its estimates for those fixed operators that do not submit quarterly data to Ofcom.
Fixed voice services
- Total UK fixed line voice retail revenues were £2.1bn in Q4 2015, up £28m (1.4%) from the previous quarter and an increase of £23m (1.1%) compared to Q4 2014. BT’s share of these revenues was 44.3%, 0.3 percentage points lower than it had been a year previously.
- Access revenues accounted for 72.2% of the total retail fixed voice revenue in Q4 2015, a 2.6 percentage point increase compared to Q4 2014.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 33.2 million at the end of Q4 2015, down 325k (1.0%) compared to a year previously.
- UK fixed lines generated 18.0 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q4 2015, a 16.1 million (0.1%) fall compared to the previous quarter and down 1.8 billion minutes (9.3%) compared to Q4 2014.
- There were 24.7 million fixed broadband connections at the end of Q4 2015, an increase of 923k (3.9%) compared to a year previously. BT’s retail share of these connections was 32.4% at the end of Q4 2015, an increase of 0.4 percentage points compared to Q4 2014.
- Of these connections, 5.5 million (22.1%) were classified as being ‘other inc. FTTx’ (almost all of which are fibre broadband connections), a 6.8 percentage points increase compared to a year previously.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.8bn in retail revenues in Q4 2015, a £1m (0.03%) increase from the previous quarter and a £25m (0.6%) decrease compared to a year previously.
- Total outgoing mobile call volumes were just under 37.0 billion minutes in Q4 2015, an increase of 2.0 billion minutes (5.7%) since the previous quarter and up 1.5 billion minutes (4.3%) since Q4 2014.
- The total number of outgoing SMS and MMS messages was 25.1 billion in Q4 2015, up 0.4 billion messages (1.6%) compared to the previous quarter but down 1.3 billion messages (4.8%) compared to a year previously.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions was 85.3 million, up 1.6 million (2.0%) compared to a year previously. The number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions (excluding M2M) increased by 0.4 million (7.5%) to 5.6 million in a year to Q4 2015.
Q4 2015 Telecom Data Update datafile (CSV, 18.7 KB)
Q4 2015 telecoms tables (PDF, 272.1 KB)