In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
- Total fixed line revenues were 2.3bn in Q4 2010, 5.5% lower than they had been a year previously.
- This came as a result of a 0.6% decrease in the total number of fixed lines to 33.3 million and a 5.2% decline in call volumes to 31.5 billion minutes over the same period.
- BT's share of total fixed voice revenues was 51.2% in Q4 2010, 2.3 percentage points lower than it was in Q4 2009.
- At the end of Q4 2010 there were 19.5 million UK non-corporate broadband connections, 728k (3.9%) more than there had been a year previously.
- BT continued to be the largest provider of non-corporate UK broadband connections in Q4 2010, with a market share of 27.7%. This was 1.7 percentage points higher than it was at the end of 2009.
- Total mobile revenues declined by 3.0% between Q4 2009 and Q4 2010 across the three mobile operators covered in the data tables (Everything Everywhere, O2 and Vodafone). Revenues from access, calls, data and bundled services fell by 1.9% while the decline in messaging service revenue accelerated, down 7.7% over the 12-month period, compared to a 5.8% fall in the previous quarter.
- Total call volumes across the three operators increased by 1.4% year-on-year to 27.8 billion, driven by an increase in calls to UK-based numbers. Roaming and international call volumes declined during the 12-month period by 7% and 3.4% respectively.
- Total messaging volumes for the four operators exceeded 31 billion in Q4 2010, equivalent to 478 messages per subscriber; this compares to nearly 26 billion or 367 messages per subscriber in Q4 2009.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions for the three operators grew by 306,000 (+0.5%) over Q4 2010 to 66 million. Nearly 47% of subscriptions were post-pay at the end of 2010, compared to 40% in Q4 2009.
1.- The commentary provided only refers to the three (four before the merger of Orange and T-Mobile) mobile operators covered in this report.
Telecommunications market data tables Q4 2010 (PDF, 490.3 KB)
Q4 2010 Telecom Data Tables (CSV, 24.2 KB)