In this update we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- Fixed voice services generated £2.0bn in revenues in Q4 2017, down by 2.3% (£48m) from the previous quarter and 3.9% (£84m) compared to Q4 2016.
- There was a total of 33.1 million UK PSTN lines and ISDN channels at the end of 2017. This represented an increase of 0.8% (262k) compared to Q3 2017, but a decline of 1.4% (468k) year-on-year.
- UK landlines generated 12.6 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q4 2017, a quarterly decrease of 1.7% (214 million minutes) and 17.6% (2.7 billion minute) fall compared to Q4 2016.
Fixed broadband services
- There were 26.0 million UK fixed broadband connections at the end of 2017, an increase of 0.5% (129k) from Q3 2017 and a year-on-year increase of 2.1% (546k).
- The total number of ADSL lines was 12.1 million at the end of 2017, a fall of 2.4% (293k) from the previous quarter, while the total number of cable and ‘Other (inc. FTTx)’ connections increased by 0.6% (31k) and 4.7% (390k) respectively during the same period.
- There were 8.8 million ‘Other (inc. FTTx)’ fixed broadband lines, predominantly comprised of superfast fibre broadband connections, at the end of Q4 2017. This represented 33.8% of the total UK broadband connections, a 6.3 percentage point increase from Q4 2016.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.9bn in retail revenues in Q4 2017, a £31m (-0.8%) decrease from the previous quarter and a £45m (1.2%) increase compared to a year previously.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) was 84.2 million at the end of Q4 2017, up 0.3 million (0.3%) from a year previously. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions remained the same at 5 million.
- Average revenue per subscriber in Q4 2017 was £15.53, with post-pay subscribers generating more revenue than pre-pay subscribers (at £20.91 and £4.77 respectively).
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q4 2017 (PDF, 496.3 KB)
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q4 2017 (CSV, 18.6 KB)