Telecommunications Market Data Update Q1 2011
25 August 2011
In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector. In this issue we have made a number of changes to the format of the published tables:
1. In the fixed tables we no longer publish call revenue by call type data by operator.
2. In the mobile tables we no longer include network-specific data and instead include total market figures (which include data for the four MNOs and those MVNOs that submit data, along with Ofcom estimates for MVNOs and resellers that do not)..
- Total retail fixed-line voice revenues were 2.3bn in Q1 2011, a 4.6% fall since Q1 2010. BT had a 49.2% share of these revenues, 2.3 percentage points lower than in Q1 2010.
- In the year to Q1 2011 total fixed originating call volumes fell by 10.1% to 30.9 billion minutes, while BTs share of fixed call volumes fell by 1.9 percentage points over the same period.
- At the end of Q1 2011 there were 33.3 million UK fixed lines, 568,000 less than a year previously.
- At the end of Q1 2011 there were 19.9 million UK fixed broadband connections, 1.3 million more than a year previously.
- BT remained the largest retail broadband provider in Q1 2011 with a market share of 27.8%, 1.0 percentage points higher than at the end of Q1 2010.
- Mobile voice and data services generated an estimated 3.5bn in revenues in Q1 2011, 15m (0.4%) less than in 2010 Q1.
- For the second successive quarter mobile-originated call volumes (31.0 billion minutes) were higher than fixed-originated call volumes, with mobile accounting for 50.1% of outgoing call volumes.
- The total number of SMS and MMS messages sent in Q1 2011 was 36.9 billion, 22.7% higher than in Q1 2010.
- The total number of UK mobile connections fell by 39,000 to 81.1 million in Q1 2011. Pre-pay connections fell by 486,000 as consumers continue to migrate to pay-monthly contracts (up by 447,000). Of the 81.1 million total connections, 5.0 million (6.1%) were mobile broadband datacards or dongles.
Q4 2010 Telecom Data Tables CSV, 24.2 KB
Telecommunications Market Data Tables Q1 2011 PDF, 475.2 KB