The shared access licence is part of a new framework for enabling shared use of spectrum, aiming to make it easier for people and businesses to access spectrum for a wide range of local wireless connectivity applications.
The shared access licence is currently available in four spectrum bands which support mobile technology:
- 1800 MHz band: 1781.7 to 1785 MHz paired with 1876.7 to 1880 MHz;
- 2300 MHz band: 2390 to 2400 MHz;
- 3800 to 4200 MHz band; and
- 24.25-26.5 GHz. This band is only available for indoor low power licences.
Two types of licences are available:
- Low power licence. This authorises users to deploy as many base stations as they require within a circular area with a radius of 50 metres as well as the associated fixed, nomadic or mobile terminals connected to the base stations operating within the area.
- Medium power licence. This authorises a single base station and the associated fixed, nomadic or mobile terminals connected to the base station.