This paper sets out the terms of reference for Ofcom's third review of Public Service Television Broadcasting (PSB) and sets out how we will:
- report on the past delivery of public service content ; and
- examine changes in both the broadcasting and wider communications sector and their potential effect on the current PSB system.
It explains how this review will be conducted in a different manner from Ofcom's previous two PSB reviews because:
- the transition from analogue to digital broadcasting, which formed the context for our first two reviews, is complete;
- Ofcom has decided to renew the Channel 3, 4 and 5 licences for a further 10 years; and
- Ofcom's remit in conducting the review has changed as a result of the Digital Economy Act 2010.
Because of these factors we anticipate that we will complete this review in a shorter time frame than previous PSB reviews.