Functions and Role
The Committee advises Ofcom about the interests and opinions of older and disabled people living in the UK.
The remit of the Advisory Committee is to:
- seek to identify issues affecting the communications and postal sectors of interest to older and disabled people, both collectively as a Committee and individually as Members, with particular reference to the sectors where they have particular knowledge or expertise;
- to provide advice to Ofcom about general and specific issues concerning the communications and postal sectors relating to older and disabled people;
- to provide advice and comment as required on matters brought to the Committee by Ofcom;
- to offer comment, as appropriate, on consultations undertaken by Ofcom;
- where requested by the Content Board, to provide specific advice to that Board on matters relating to television, radio and other content on services regulated by Ofcom;
- when so requested by the Ofcom Board, to provide advice to the Communications Consumer Panel on matters relating to older and disabled people in the communications sector.
- to contribute to Ofcom’s annual report to ensure the work of the regulator within the communications and postal sectors on issues relating to older and disabled people is reflected.