Public phone boxes

Published: 21 September 2023
Last updated: 21 September 2023

A damaged or faulty phone box

Contact the phone box provider: this will be KCOM (in the Hull area) or BT (everywhere else in the UK).

To report a damaged or faulty box to BT, use the following email address: See BT's website for more details.

For any damaged or faulty payphones in the Hull area, contact KCOM at:

A phone box being removed

Under our rules, BT and KCOM now cannot remove a box if it is the last remaining in an area (i.e. more than 400 metres’ walking distance from the next public call box) and it meets one or more of these criteria:

  • it is in a place without coverage from all four mobile network providers;
  • it is located in an area with a high frequency of accidents or suicides;
  • it has made 52 or more calls over the past 12 months; or
  • there is other evidence that the box is reasonably needed at the site – for example if it is likely to be relied upon in the event of a local emergency, such as flooding, or if it is used to call helplines.

Before removing a phone box that is the last in its area and does not meet any of these criteria, BT or KCOM must consult with the relevant local authority on removing it. If BT or KCOM are proposing to remove your local phone box and you are opposed to the removal, write to your local council.

More information about the removal of public phone boxes is available on our website.

Rate this page

Thank you for your feedback.

We read all feedback but are not able to respond. If you have a specific query you should see other ways to contact us.

Was this page helpful?
Back to top