Ofcom licensing portal for aircraft, amateur and ships radio
Use Ofcom's licensing portal to apply for an aircraft, amateur or ships radio licence. You can also use the portal to manage your existing licence.
Register or log in
Please register with a valid email address by following the link below.
If you previously registered on the old portal using your email address as the username please register again using the same email.
If you can't remember or have changed your email, please contact us so we can update your details to allow you to register.
If you previously logged in using an Ofcom-generated username, please contact us with the following information:
- a valid email address
- an existing licence number
- a call sign and your postcode
- manage your personal information
- manage all aircraft licences
- register on behalf of an organisation
Applying on behalf of an organisation
To apply on behalf of an organisation, you will need to register online as a new user.
When applying for an aircraft licence, please indicate that the licence is for an organisation.
If the organisation you are applying for already has an aircraft licence, please contact the Spectrum Licensing team to provide them with a valid email address. This will allow you to register again, and access the licences you are a contact for under this account.
On our online system you can apply for and manage:
- your personal information
- al Amateur Radio licences, including club licences
- Special Event Station Notice of Variations
UK Radio Amateurs who would like to apply for an Amateur Radio licence in another country that participates in CEPT Recommendation T/R 61-02 must have a UK HAREC.
A UK HAREC is now issued alongside every UK Full examination pass certificate that is issued. CEPT is separate from the EU. These arrangements will therefore continue until further notice, beyond 31 December 2020.
Notices of Variation
You can now apply for and issue a Special Event Station NoV via the Online Licensing System.
To apply for the following NoVs you will need to complete an application form and send it to Spectrum Licensing via post or email.
- Special, Special Event Station NoV
- Permanent Special Event Station NoV
- Special Research Permit
Arrangements for Special Event Stations to mark the centenary of the Cub Scouts and events in the Great War
The RSGB processes applications for Special Contest Call signs for Ofcom, though decisions on whether or not to grant a variation remain Ofcom’s.
Please note that postal applications incur a £20 handling charge for applicants under 75.
- your personal information
- all ship radio/ship portable radio licences
- online registrations on behalf of organisations
Applying online on behalf of an organisation
- You will need to register online as a new user
- When applying for a ship/ship portable radio licence please select the licence is for an organisation
- If the organisation you are applying for already has a ship radio licence please contact spectrum licensing to obtain your customer reference number as this will be required with the online application process
- If you already have an existing account on behalf of an organisation, you will need to contact Spectrum Licensing to provide them with a valid email address. This will enable you to re-register and access the licences you are a contact for under this account.
If you require an ATIS number, this can now be added to your ships radio licence. All you need to do is amend your licence and add one or more pieces of ATIS equipment.
Downloadable forms and resources for ships radio
- My Account - Allows you to manage your account online, apply for additional licences or surrender and vary existing licences. Please note that you should surrender unwanted licences otherwise Ofcom may visit you for illegal use of the radio spectrum.
- Help and Support – Find useful answers and step by step guidance, or contact us by email or phone.
- As part of an ongoing system refresh programme to increase online functionality and improve customer experience
- To ensure our Online Services are secure and convenient.
- So you can save your changes and return later to complete your submission, helping the process work around you.
- To ensure we capture correct and complete information on applications
As with any upgrade we can’t rule out the possibility of some minor defects which may impact our call volume. We will do our best to respond to calls and emails as quickly as possible but this may take longer than normal. We would like to apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience at this time.
The Amateur and Ships Licensing Portal is the first stage of an ongoing refresh programme and we would value feedback on your experience. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We appreciate all feedback but please be advised we will not be able to respond to individual emails.
If you are experiencing difficulties using the portal, please email the Spectrum Licensing team at email@example.com.