Ofcom needs your help

Do you work in the sectors we regulate or hold on Ofcom licence and would like to help us improve the website? If so, please get in touch.

Ships' radio and ship portable radio

20 September 2016

Ships’ radio is used for the safe navigation of vessels and for making distress calls in emergency situations. It enables communication with coast stations, port/harbour authorities and with other vessels.

Ships radio includes MF (medium frequency), VHF (very high frequency), HF (high frequency), and UHF (ultra high frequency) radio equipment. It can also include satellite communications equipment, radar equipment, Emergency position indicating radio beacons (EPIRBs) and search and rescue transponders (SARTs).

Rate this page

Was this page helpful?