In this update we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- UK fixed voice service revenues totaled £1.9bn in Q4 2018, a year-on-year decrease of £143m
(7.1%). BT’s share of these revenues was 42.1%, a year-on-year decrease of 2.1 percentage points.
- Access revenues accounted for 78.8% of total fixed voice revenues in Q4 2018, a 1.3pp year-on-year increase.
- Fixed-originated call volumes totalled 10.3 billion minutes in Q4 2018, a year-on year decrease of of 2.4 billion minutes (18.7%).
- There were 32.0 million fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) at the end of 2018, representing a fall of 229k (0.7%) year-on-year.
Fixed broadband services
- There were 26.6 million fixed broadband lines at the end of 2018, a year-on-year increase of 543k (2.1%).
- Of these lines, 11.8 million (44%) were “Other inc. FTTx” lines – predominantly fibre broadband connections – an 8.9pp increase from Q4 2017.
- BT’s retail share of these lines (including EE and Plusnet) was 34.6%, a decrease of 1.3pp year-on-year.
From 2018, bundled revenues are reported according to the new IFRS15 accounting standard and do not include any device revenues.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.7bn in retail revenues in Q4 2018, a £51m (1.4%) decrease from the previous quarter. Average revenue per subscriber in Q4 2018 was £14.83, with post-pay subscribers generating more revenue than pre-pay subscribers (at £19.30 and £4.98 respectively).
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 84.0 million at the end of Q4 2018, down 0.1 million (0.1%) from a year previously. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions decreased by 0.5 million (9.8%), to 4.5 million.
- The number of mobile voice calls was 40.1 billion in Q4 2018, up 0.65 billion (1.6%) from the year previously, while the number of mobile messages (including SMS and MMS) continued to decline, down 2.7 billion (13.4%) over the same period.
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q4 2018 (PDF, 363.4 KB)
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q4 2018 (CSV, 137.0 KB)