In this update we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- UK fixed voice service revenues totalled £1.7bn in Q4 2019, a year-on-year decrease of £145m (7.8%). Annual revenues for 2019 stood at £7.1bn, a decrease of £485m (6.4%) from the total for the previous year.
- Access revenues accounted for 80.5% of total fixed voice revenues in Q4 2019, a 1.8pp year-on-year increase.
- Fixed-originated call volumes totalled 9.5 billion minutes in Q4 2019, a year-on-year decrease of 1.4 billion minutes (13.2%).
- There were 31.3 million fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels at the end of 2018, representing a year-on-year fall of 199k (0.6%).
Fixed broadband services
- There were 26.8 million fixed broadband lines at the end of 2019, a year-on-year increase of 241k (0.9%).
- Of these lines, 14.3 million (53.2%) were classed as “Other inc. FTTx” lines – predominantly fibre broadband connections – an increase of 2.5 million (21%) compared to Q4 2018.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.3bn in retail revenues in Q4 2019, a £110m (3.2%) decrease from a year previously.
- Average revenue per subscriber in Q4 2019 was £13.02, with post-pay subscribers generating more revenue than pre-pay subscribers (at £16.32 and £4.97 respectively).
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 85.5million at the end of Q4 2019, up 1.5 million (1.8%) from a year previously. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions slightly decreased by 0.2%, to 4.5 million.
- The number of outgoing mobile voice calls minutes was 41.5 billion in Q4 2019, up 1.5 billion (3.7%) from a year previously.
- The number of mobile messages (including SMS and MMS) continued to decline over the same period, down 2.1 billion (11.6%) to 15.8bn.
- Data usage continued to increase rapidly, up 245PB (35.7%) to 929 PB year-on-year.
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q4 2019 (PDF, 578.9 KB)
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q4 2019 (CSV, 110.5 KB)