In this update we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- Fixed voice service revenues totalled £2.0bn in Q1 2018, a quarter-on-quarter decrease of 1.6% and down 4.8% from Q1 2017.
- Access revenues accounted for 77.7% of total fixed voice service revenues, a 1.5 percentage point increase compared to a year previously. BT’s share of total fixed voice revenues remained stable year-on-year at 43.6%.
- The total number of fixed exchange lines (including PSTN lines and ISDN channels) was 33.0 million at the end of Q1 2018, a fall of 318k (1.0%) compared to a year previously.
- UK fixed lines generated 12.3 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q1 2018, down by 17.1% (2.5 billion) compared to a year previously.
Fixed broadband services
- There were 26.2 million UK fixed broadband connections at the end of Q1 2018, a year-on-year increase of 2.1% (546k), and a 0.6% (151k) increase compared to the previous quarter. BT (including EE)’s share of these lines was 35.7%, a decrease of 0.2pp from Q4 2017.
- There were 10.0 million ‘Other (inc. FTTx)’ fixed broadband lines, predominantly comprised of superfast fibre broadband connections, at the end of Q1 2018.
- These connections represented 38.2% of all UK fixed broadband connections, a year-on-year increase of 7.6pp.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.8bn in retail revenues in Q1 2018, a £95m (-2.4%) decrease from the previous quarter and an £18m (0.5%) increase compared to a year previously.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) was 84.1 million at the end of Q1 2018, up 0.3 million (0.4%) from a year previously. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions remained the same at 5 million.
- Average revenue per subscriber in Q1 2018 was £15.21, with post-pay subscribers generating more revenue than pre-pay subscribers (at £20.24 and £4.71 respectively).
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q1 2018 (PDF, 367.2 KB)
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q1 2018 (CSV, 101.3 KB)