In the following section we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- UK fixed voice service revenues totalled £1.8bn in Q1 2020, a quarter-on-quarter decrease of £78m (4.2%).
- Access and add-on call bundles generated £1.6bn in revenue in Q1 2020, accounting for 86.8% of total fixed voice revenues.
- Fixed-originated call volumes totalled 10.3 billion minutes in Q1 2020.
- There were 32.4 million fixed exchange lines (including PSTN/emulated PSTN lines, ISDN channels and managed VoIP connections at the end of Q1 2020, a fall of 25k (0.1%) during the quarter.
Fixed broadband services
- There were 27.0 million fixed broadband lines at the end of Q1 2020, a year-on-year increase of 266k (1.0%).
- Of these lines, 15.1 million (56.2%) were classed as “Other inc. FTTx” (predominantly fibre broadband connections) a year-on-year increase of 2.6 million (21.0%) compared to Q4 2018.
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.2bn in retail revenues in Q1 2020, a £141m (4.2%) decrease from a year previously.
- Average revenue per subscriber in Q1 2020 was £12.72, with post-pay subscribers generating more revenue than pre-pay subscribers (at £16.29 and £5.50 respectively).
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M) was 83.6million at the end of Q1 2020, down 0.3 million (0.4%) from a year previously. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions slightly decreased by 1.6%, to 4.4 million.
- The number of outgoing mobile voice calls minutes was 44.3 billion in Q1 2020, up 4.4 billion from a year previously.
- The number of mobile messages (including SMS and MMS) continued to decline over the same period, down 2.1 billion (12.8%) to 14.6bn.
- Data usage continued to increase rapidly, up 257 PB (37%) to 949 PB year-on-year.
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q1 2020 (PDF, 487.3 KB)
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q1 2020 (CSV, 112.6 KB)