In this update we highlight some of the key trends emerging this quarter from the data we collect on the UK telecommunications sector.
Fixed voice services
- Fixed voice services generated £1.9bn in revenues in Q2 2018, a decrease of 3.5% quarter-on-quarter and down 7.9% from Q2 2017. BT’s share of these revenues was 42.4%, a decrease of 1.1 percentage points from the previous year.
- Access revenues decreased by £33m from Q1 2018, while call revenues fell by £37m during the same period. In Q2 2018, access accounted for 79% of total revenues, up 1.6pp year-on-year.
- There were 32.7 million fixed exchange lines (including PSTN and ISDN channels) in Q2 2018, 345k (1.0%) fewer than in Q1 2018 and a 1.6% (516k) year-on-year decrease. BT’s share of these lines remained stable during the quarter, at 38.6%.
- UK fixed telephony lines generated 11.3 billion minutes of outgoing calls in Q2 2018, down by 15% (2.0 billion minutes) compared to Q2 2017.
Fixed broadband services
- The UK had 26.2 million fixed broadband connections in Q2 2018, up 0.2% (52k) from the previous quarter and 2.0% (526k) from Q2 2017.
- BT’s share of these lines was 35.5%, a decrease of 0.2pp from the previous quarter.
- For the first time, there were over 10 million ‘other (inc. FTTx)’ lines (which are almost all fibre broadband lines) in Q2 2018. This was a year-on-year increase of 1.7 million lines (20.9%).
- Mobile telephony services generated £3.9bn in retail revenues in Q2 2018, a £80m (2.1%) increase from the previous quarter and an £61m (1.6%) increase compared to a year previously.
- The number of active mobile subscriptions (excluding M2M connections) was 83.8 million at the end of Q2 2018, down 0.1 million (-0.2%) from a year previously. Over the same period, the number of dedicated mobile broadband subscriptions decreased by 0.2 million (-3.1%), to 4.8 million.
- Average revenue per subscriber in Q2 2018 was £15.56, with post-pay subscribers generating more revenue than pre-pay subscribers (at £20.60 and £4.84 respectively).
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q2 2018 (PDF, 555.4 KB)
Telecommunications data revenues, volumes and market share update Q2 2018 (CSV, 94.4 KB)