Smartphones and mobile connectivity are an essential part of daily life for most people in the UK. To better understand the experience they receive, Ofcom has analysed crowdsourced data collected between October 2022 and March 2023 from mobile devices across the UK.
In this report, we focus on:
- the share of data connections across wireless network technologies (2G, 3G, 4G, 5G and Wi-Fi);
- the success rate for mobile data connections;
- the response times for different mobile technologies;
- the time to download and upload different sized files; and
- download and upload speeds.
We also look at how these vary by mobile network operator and location.