The way a service was sold

Published: 24 July 2023
Last updated: 4 September 2023

Ofcom wants customers to be confident that services are not sold to them in an underhand way.

If you think you were mis-sold a service, complain to Ofcom.

Although we can't investigate individual cases, your complaints can lead to us launching investigations and taking action.

For help with your problem, follow these steps.

  1. Contact your provider's customer services team and explain your problem.
  2. If this doesn't resolve it, make a formal complaint to the company. You should find details of how to do this on the back of your bill, on their website or ask their customer services.
  3. If your provider is unable to resolve your complaint, ask for a deadlock letter. This will allow you to take your complaint to an Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.

An ADR scheme acts as an independent middleman. They will examine the case from both sides and reach a decision they think fair. If eight weeks have passed since you first formally complained, you can contact the ADR scheme directly.

There are two ADR schemes: the Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) and Communications Ombudsman. All providers must belong to one of the schemes.

Your provider will tell you which scheme it is a member of, or you can use our ADR checker.

Rate this page

Thank you for your feedback.

We read all feedback but are not able to respond. If you have a specific query you should see other ways to contact us.

Was this page helpful?
Back to top