In 2013, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) and Ofcom launched an action plan to tackle the harm to consumers caused by nuisance calls and messages. Our most recent annual update, published in March 2019, set out our areas of focus:
- Taking targeted enforcement action;
- Working with telecoms companies to improve how they disrupt and prevent calls;
- Identifying opportunities through working together, with other regulators and enforcement agencies, to deter and punish those responsible for nuisance calls;
- Sharing intelligence with our international partners and enforcement agencies to tackle scams and fraud; and
- Using regulatory powers to deter wrongdoing and, where necessary, compel compliance with the law.
Our May 2020 update reports on the progress made in each of the areas listed over the last 12 months and highlights how our collaborative efforts are making a positive difference to consumers.
Nuisance calls and messages: Update to ICO-Ofcom joint action plan 2020 (PDF, 327.1 KB)
Negeseuon a galwadau niwsans: diweddariad ar y cynllun gweithredu (PDF, 312.3 KB)
ICO and Ofcom joint action plan – 2019 update (PDF, 404.7 KB)
ICO and Ofcom joint action plan – 2018 update (PDF, 277.0 KB)
ICO and Ofcom joint action plan – 2016 update (PDF, 563.9 KB)
ICO and Ofcom joint action plan – 2015 update (PDF, 239.8 KB)
ICO and Ofcom joint action plan – 2014 update (PDF, 381.4 KB)
ICO and Ofcom joint action plan – 2013 update